We are now in the age of the "Internet of Things", where more and more devices are being built with connectivity to the Internet. It took the cake for me when I was at the Dreamforce conference last November, when Phillips showcased a toothbrush that is Wi-Fi based with GPS. I sat there thinking, why do I want my toothbrush connected to the Internet? Will that be a way for my dentist to monitor if I am actually brushing? Or determine if I am brushing correctly based on the positioning of toothbrush? Then I thought about it for a second; I could rationalize such connectivity, if such connectivity provides a way to get firmware update. The toothbrush now becomes a platform. Instead of needing to buy a new toothbrush, I can get a firmware update to extend the life of the toothbrush, add new functionality such as an extra brush cycles, etc.
What does Phillips new toothbrush has to do with starting a new business. It conveys the pressing need for connectivity as a function of doing business. Connectivity brings a global audience to a local address. For those of you that say I am not looking to be global; connectivity helps you to reach your customers (and target audience – potential customers), no matter where they are.
TIPS:Things to consider when starting a business:
- No man is an island, get help and do not lose track of what is the main thing;
- Write it down, and follow the plan;
- Formal registration of business, protect yourself and your idea
- Develop a branding strategy across all mediums (move away from firstname.lastname@example.org to email@example.com);
- Explore different service models for business support services; and
- Sign-up for some form of legal support.
Shameless Self Promotion
At YatinBoots Corp., connectivity, is our sole priority. We work with freelancers, entrepreneurs, and owners to devise technology-based, customer-driven solutions that put the focus back on their customer instead of operations.
Schedule a Quick Call
Visit Our Support Portal